PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is an
ecoterrorist "animal rights" organization that is infamous for being batshit insane.
PETA was founded by Ingrid Newkirk and Alex Panheco, after finding out about Monkey abuse at a laboratory in 1981. It all went down fucking hill from there.
- Hunting and fishing is bad. They think its bad, but its not. You see, hunting/fishing is not only very important economy wise, but it also feeds many people. Additionally, food isn't the only circumstance in which we kill animals. Some examples include keeping away invading species, hunting is actually proven to help animals in the case that it gets rid of predators, and there are a shit ton of everyday products that require animal parts.
- That using animals for medical testing is wrong and immoral. See section on animal testing below
- That students should drink beer rather than Milk. They also claimed that drinking milk depletes your bone mass. Its funny because you think we're joking, but we're not.
Because PETA is so stupidly insane, it should come to no one's surprise that they have tried to garner support or awareness through some rather... unconventional means.
Taking A Whole New Level In Godwin
If you're not aware, Godwin's Law (often referred to as 'godwinning') was a principle made by attorney Mike Godwin, who stated that as a discussion progressed, the likely-ness of a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis increases. With that being said, PETA started a campaign in 2003 called "The holocaust on your plate", where they compared the agricultural practices at the time and eating meat to the Holocaust. This, obviously, went as well as you'd expect it to go.
Video Game Related Controversy
Because PETA, being the moral crusaders they are, decided that animals should be treated well in video games too! Most of the more notable controversies come from Nintendo related video games, like Pokémon and Mario. When PETA found out that
Gardevoir couldn't be their waifu pokemon bared many similarities to cock-fighting, they were extremely outraged. PETA, forgetting that electronic data and real life animals aren't the least bit comparable within this context, made a bunch of propaganda "parody" games filed with fallacies, bullshit, lies, and pretty shit game mechanics.
The second Nintendo controversy being with our favorite plumber, Mario! Why was Mario is such deep shit with PETA? Because Mario wore a Tanooki suit and therefore sending the HEINOUS, HORRIFYING message that its ok to wear fur. No, seriously. What PETA failed to understand that his Tanooki suit is obtained by getting a leaf powerup.
Mass Euthanization Of AnimalsPETA seem to love animals so much that they rather kill every animal than to let anyone else even lay a hand on them. It has been uncovered that PETA have been killing the animals kept in their shelters on a regular basis. They killed over 2,454 of their 3,369 cats, dogs and other animals just in Norfolk alone in 2014.
- "How much money did PETA take in last year from unsuspecting donors who helped pay for this mass carnage? $51,933,001: $50,449,023 in contributions, $627,336 in merchandise sales, and $856,642 in interest and dividends. They finished the year with $4,551,786 more in the bank than they started, after expenses. They did not see fit to use some of that to comprehensively promote animals for adoption or to provide veterinary care for the animals who needed it. By contrast, the Lynchburg Humane Society, also in Virginia, took in about the same number of animals as PETA but saved 94% and without PETA’s millions. Seagoville Animal Services in Texas took in 1/3 of the numbers (about 700 animals) but only 1/20th of 1% of the amount of money that PETA did, saving 99% of them on a paltry $29,700 budget. In fact, hundreds of cities and towns across America are saving over 90% of the animals and doing so on a fraction of PETA’s wealth."
- ― Nathan Winograd, shelter reform advocate and PETA critic[src]
Animals And The Medical Field
As mentioned before, PETA doesn't want animals to be tested on for medical purposes. This is a terrible idea, as not only removing animal testing would critically cripple the entire fucking medical field, but it has also contributed a lot. So much that we had to dedicate an entire section to it!
Because of animal testing we have:
- Better treatments for cancer
- Treatments for people with HIV/AIDS
- Treatments for people with Heart Conditions. Not to mention that the Pacemaker was tested on an animal and it still helps many people to this day
- Treatments and medicines for Type one and type two diabetes.
- Treatments for people with Parkinson's disease
- Treatments for people with Hepatitis C
- Countermeasures to Bioterrorism
And that's only scratching the surface!
The only good thing about PETA
Despite all the bullshitery, PETA is supportive of LBGTQ people. Only because they get protein from swallowing....jizz!
People who have starred on the DP, like MrRepzion , have talked about the bullshittery that PETA has done.